Sunday, May 23, 2021

Yes, Mom, This Post Is Late. I'm Out of Practice of Staying Up Until 2 a.m. and Karal Lynne is, Well, a Puppy with Tremendous Energy

And the squeaky balls have returned.

Karal Lynne found me outside of NYC yesterday in Harrison, NY, at a National Pet Rescue Week event. For me, it was the eyes and ears. Love at first site. Then I needed to field out the dispositions. Although she was in a sea of puppies and strays and a bit mouthy at first, she quickly settled, was not interested in them, and quietly did her own thing. We bonded for over an hour, then I said, "Let's head to your new forever home..." in southern CT traffic...on a Saturday...on I-95. I have not missed that at all. She slept the entire way, 100% less neurotic in the car as Glamis. She also loves when I vacuum, sweep, dust, or pick things up - it's game time for her. 

The foster family said she was super smart, which she proved at Justin Wooley's graduation party...already she sits, shakes, lies down, and almost rolls over. Unlike Glamis, it's not the ears and eyes she loves rubbed. It's her tummy and chest. Once she goes on her back she remains that way to be scratched.

Great on a leash, curious of every thing, and definitely a pig pen with all the toys (after 20 minutes of giving the house a sniff-down, she got every toy Glamis ever owned out of a basket and went to work), I know she's going to chisel her way into the Mt. Pleasant lifestyle. Tunga came home to meet her and to attend the graduation party, which lasted late into the night, and ended with another hour of more tricks and fetch. 2 a.m. bedtime. I'm too old for that.

The foster family said she was adopted and returned twice to PetRescueNY, both times from families who underestimated the amount of work of a puppy...especially in NYC apartments. On Mt. Pleasant, although she likes to be underfoot (knocks the cellphone out of the hand when she wants attention), she is thrilled by a fenced in backyard and opportunities to walk - great on a leash.

As I predicted, she jumped on my bed last night, trying to settle between my feet at first, realizing I toss too much and finally zonking out in the same spot as Glamis, at the edge of the bed. I slept 4 hours before the sun rose and made it hard to fall back to sleep. I tried my best, until 9 until I heard her chewing a bone on the dog bed below. I then realized, she probably needs to go outside (which she did)...Tunga already at the kitchen table with his computer, and Karal Lynne at his feet instantly.

She came with the name Karal, and I added Lynne because it sounds good with Crandall. I also was calling her Karal Brunette, Carrot, Caroli, and Rikki Tikki Tavi all day. She is definitely a mongoose (Mother Goose), and I'm sure she could find rabbit holes to burrow down. 

Right this second, however, 46-minutes into her day of  play, breakfast, outside run, and investigation, she is settled by my feet and calm. Makes me want to cuddle with her.

Holy July/August temperatures, Batman! It's a scorcher today. Blessings to all you pool owners. It's a swimming kind of day. Go swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment