Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Well, That Was Exactly How Mondays are Supposed To Be. Took One For the Team. But Today is Tuesday, and I'm Wearing Bubble Wrap Just in Case. Whatcha Got For Me?

I finally heard back from ITS Help Desk at Fairfield University. The good news, is they responded after two weeks. The bad news is I had to act fast. I drove to campus, got a loaner, drove to Apple, dropped off my computer that is covered under Apple Care for its faulty keyboard, came home, got the loaner aligned with my home system, and then received a call.

"Dr. Crandall, Can you come back to the University? We accidentally set you up as a student?"

You can do the camera angle for my reaction and play the music as you wish. 

I just knew I wasn't functioning from home. Ironically, I was also patient, because I know that ITS took a big hit from administrative cuts, so I didn't expect miracles. In fact, leading tech people across the campus have hinted, "Oh, just you wait."

So, I drove back, and had the computer reconfigured as a faculty member. I bit my lip and remained an optimist and dreamer. We reconfigured for a second time, and I came home only to learn that none of Apple's regulars: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iCalendar etc. were loaded. I had no way to open up my files. And I call again, only to learn that the loaner I have can't update those files, because those files are more advanced than my loaner can handle. I am supposed to be without my presentations and class notes until I get my original computer back.

I don't think so. To be fair, ITS Help Desk is now run by undergraduate students with an occasional supervisor. They are learning the trades of the field and Tik Tok and Instagram are calling their names. The distractions are much more appealing. 

I do what I know how to do. I cut corners. Read. Figure things out. Then I download the programs I need so I can function as a normal professor for the classes I teach and with the materials I need. "Sir, how were you able to get...." is met with, "don't ask. I have to teach. I don't have time to explain." I called them, as they repeatedly told me it was impossible, I found ways to make it possible.

How do you have a Mac without all the Mac goodies? Non-Mac people can be tremendously obtuse.

Meanwhile, Glamis the Wonder Dog who went a week on $$$ medicine, decided after her last pill that eating was sort of blasé, and that she wanted to go 24-hours without food, and when I made her rice and chicken, she'd eat it with all her glory, but then while walking (to ease my mind after the technological day) she'd vomit it all over the front yard of some poor homeowner. It was rough. And exhausted afterward, she decided to lie down and try to fall asleep in their yard. 

Okay, she did 7 days of good eating, good exercise, and good poops. No incidences. The medicine ended, and she's sick as a dog again. Well, she is a dog. But you get the point.

We have an appointment this morning before my meetings and classes begin. I'm still not sure if I'm able to reach the University website to access the ZOOM account. That's the kind of Monday it was. After I return from the vet, it's time to explore how to get the loaner connected to all my screens so I can have a normal day.

I will say, however, because I don't like to complain, that it is absolutely joyful to type what it is I want to type, without keys sticking to my fingers and flying over my shoulder and onto the floor. That's a tremendous improvement. It's also nice that this loaner has about 2 inches wider on its screen. Because I'm online 7 days a week, usually 12 hours a day, it's nice to have a system that cooperates and is bigger for my aging eyes.

This is where we are right now and I am thinking, "What if I couldn't get the computer running? How would I function with my responsibilities and my students?" 

My response, "Not my problem. I know what what I'm doing. This, however, relies on the expertise and competence of others. That's out of my control and in the end....

...well, our actions will speak louder than words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment