Monday, December 27, 2021

Book for the Road Trip - WHY WE FLY by Gilly Segal and Kimberly Jones...You Know It's a Good One When You Don't Want to Exit the Highway

I was a fortunate soul to meet Gilly Segal and Kimberly Jones in Texas when they were road tripping with I'm Not Dying with You Tonight. I was at the North Texas Teen Book Festival with three of my favorite people: Susie-Q, Kim, and Rebecca, there to present for the incredible, wonderful, and super-inspirational Rose Brock. We were there for teacher day, and presented to a room full of 100s of teachers. This, of course, was in the spring of 2020, AND the last trip any of us would take since Covid interrupted the globe. Without a doubt, meeting Gilly and Kim was a tremendous highlight. This was right before craziness hit the nation, but I left Texas inspired.

Fast forward. I'm super excited that THE WRITE TIME will feature the authors, Gilly Segal and Kimberly Jones, later next year to discuss their book Why We Fly. Trust me, I'm still partying like it's 1999 and I'll likely go to my grave with that line (even though I know exactly where I was in 1999, and do not wish to return back there). 

So. Much. Has Changed.

With that noted, I knew when I listened to the audio book read by Suzy Jackson and Jasmin Walker that I'd begin this post with a little bit of a disclaimer: (1) I do not and have never understood  the cheerleading culture, (2) I know from my niece who was a Winterguard athlete that Cheer, too, is a sport, (3) There's no doubt in my mind about the dedication, devotion, hard work, or athleticism of these athletes, and (4) I'd be a better man to keep my mind open to everything.

This is why I'm here to say that Why We Fly by Kimberly Jones and Gilly Segal was exceptionally well-done. I loved every second of it, wanted to argue with the characters, and call the authors up several times with a um, can I ask you a question about... but I didn't. Instead, I listened to the stellar, nuanced way two writers put their minds together to create a narrative about two young women, budding and blossoming in their senior year, when they make a stance for the racial injustices that, at least to me, seem obvious right now. Youth know better and are stronger than the adults they follow. History, I believe, will deliver this fact LOUD and CLEAR.

I'm definitely in awe of the story...especially the different voices that narrate what goes down in the tale...and I'm ready to know more about Three. The trained feminist in me wants to see him interrogated more, especially with his celebrity status, but I truly do believe that all of us should sit back a little while and listen to how the authors, Kimberly Jones and Gilly Segal, established their own friendship, work together to tell stories teenagers need to read, and offer light to all of us during troubled times.

I loved it. I loved every second of it. Part of it, I believe, is how different the two narrators are, believable, but in their own ways. I can say that I was rubbed the wrong way a couple of times by each, but the authorial craft won me over. I know the girls are fiction. What I really want to know is the back story of how they came after this particular story.

And I will learn this, soon. 

For today, however, I'm simply excited to have this story in my mind, heart, and soul right now. I know it will bring me the wisdom the authors will deliver to much greater clarity. It truly was a beautifully written story...grace, intelligence, insightfulness, and joy. I love that they are a writing team.


No comments:

Post a Comment