Thursday, December 23, 2021

I'm Blaming Torrey M. for Starting My Holiday Season with a Mild (yet Brilliant) Distraction. He Must Understand I'm the Type That Loves These Stories

I guess it came at the perfect time...a message from author/teacher Torrey Maldonado asking if I had watched Arcane on Netflix. "I rarely watch television," I said. "Should I check it out?" He recommended I do. Dang. He knows me. How does he know me? He understood my love of Mandalorian, but how did he know I'd geek out over Arcane? Did he know my love of Umbrella Academy? How did he know I was a geek, too. Probably because he's a geek.

Anyway, I can say that I've been absolutely obsessed with the Powder/Jinx storyline and I'm absolutely in love with Mel Arcane (he said, "Wait until you meet her mother"). I met the mother. I still love Mel. The mother is a bit...much, no? Phew. Haven't quite see her in the movies now have we? We have now!

Now, as we start the chaos of food, gatherings, gifts, and squabbles, I am going to be thinking nonstop (obsessively) of how I can rewatch every episode of Arcane in slower motion. Yes, I've texted the geekiest of my geeky friends to say, "Stop everything and watch this now" (including, Chitunga). Now I await for them to say, "Yes, I started watching. Thanks." 

I imagine it will do to them what it did to me. 

But it's Thursday. Why am I thinking of what only a few know about? Because it's that brilliant. I now want to know everyone who has watched this and I want them to contact me immediately.

Yes, it finished just in time for the Kennedy Center Honors (we were there at Thanksgiving). And I'm thrilled to see both Joni Mitchell, Lorne Michaels, Justino Diaz, Berry Gordy, and Bette Midler honored. I know, too, my high school friends Tricia and Mike were live at the event. Amazing. 

But. back to Arcane. Wow. I am a new man because of this show. Applause. Arcane. Arcane. Arcane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment