Friday, February 19, 2021

A Day of Snow. A Day of Socks. A Day of Expensive XX Ski Shoes (the best part of the day), and a Secret. Shhh. Beautiful Interview

I awoke at six with a mission to accomplish 3 more curriculum guides knowing that by the end of the day, I needed to say, "Yo. I got this. I read these books, so here's my thinking." By noon I hit send, and I looked out at the streets knowing 6 or 7 inches had fallen and plows hadn't come through. I said, "Okay, get your skis, and hit the roads.

Seriously. The secret to Northeast living is to have the ability to jump on these roads before plows come through. With a pair of cross country skis, it is like roller skating, sliding along clouds, and Winter Land Nirvana. I went out for two hours and the streets were all mine. There were a few out shoveling, and a couple more driving, but for the most part, the snow that fell between the trees and the roads were 100% mine. It's magical, and yes it's blustery and cold, but the feeling is something that can't be replicated.

Bliss. 

I'm also amused that I walk all the time and run, and no one honks or yells out the window to congratulate the performance. Yet, while skiing, cars stop to give me a thumbs up, and people yell out their windows, "Hey, we want to be you." 

Well, be me. Get a pair of skis. 

Of course, the leather boots (made in Italy, I believe) are the most expensive shoes I own. I Mr. Bargain Hunter and they're hard to get on sale. I feel so Italian and fancy with them...like I'm a fancy Austrian Duke or something.

I do have, thanks to lil' sis Casey, a bag of new, colorful socks that make everything FEET-FOCUSED and joyful. They are soft, warm, vibrant, and clever. I love them.

Finally, we recorded the next episode of The Write Time, and I wanted to wait until it was completed before I got gung-ho about it. Shhh. Don't tell anyone...okay, tell everyone...I can say it is no other than Kwame Alexander. What a blessing to have his humor, wit, craft, and wisdom with Brown School teacher Tyler Jones. It is a recording that will be remembered for the rest of my life. Amazing. 

More about that later. 

Today is Friday. I am tired. Next week looks impossible. There's more snow today. I hope to enjoy it before afternoon meetings.

I imagine I will find more time to glide along the falling white stuff (schools here have already closed for the day) and I look forward to the exercise I plan on getting. 

I also know that I've had back-to-back writing weeks, and I'm due for a few days of reading so I can catch up with all these books that have come my way.

Here's to the weekend. I have hope. Do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment