Sunday, February 28, 2021

Mom. Don't I Look Like that Newscaster You're Always Obsessing About? Um, No. She Always Wears Black. Okay. I Tried

Howdy, Sunday. I can say that my Saturday was moderately successful because even though it rained, I was able to hunker and accomplish items on my schedule. Chitunga and I even found space in the evening to find dinner, but restaurant after restaurant after restaurant was packed. We sort of bit our nails thinking, "Um, too soon and optimistic for that." We finally found a great one, huge seating areas, great food, on the water, and no one really there. He had a Blue Cheese burger and I had delicious Mahi Mahi and spinach, with a layer of baked potato in a sour cream sauce. Whatever it was, it was outstanding. 

I think it is my haircut. Maybe it is the glasses. I look like Rachel Maddow. I know people love her, but she drives me nuts. I get it. She contributes much and was ahead of the game, but I'm never a fan too much of the fanatical and frenzied. Call me an imp, but I don't like being pigeon-holed into a typography. News stations and agendas do this to us.

I submitted another set of edits for a project (that I've compared to an analogy of being onstage to dance. "Oh, we liked what you did, but we wonder if you might try this move in the next attempt." You return with that move and a few others and they say, "Wow. We never thought about it this way, and now we're wondering if you might try a maneuver like this." So, once again you return and they respond with, "Incredible. But now we're wondering if you might return to the original way you were moving, because we preferred that."

Hoops. There is is.

No, Hoops. There we jump. 

And 90% of the game becomes, "What are you looking for? Just tell me and I will give it to you. And if you don't know, what do you think it might look like. Stop making us all try to guess at what you're envisioning." 

This is the nature of writing for publication. The target is always moving, and the sudden shifts are mind-boggling and frustrating. If you want me to look like Rachel Maddow, I can look like Rachel Maddow, but if you want me to look like Don Lemon or Anderson Cooper, I'm afraid you're out of business. I can look like Don Rickles meets Drew Carey meets Jerry Lewis, if you want. That's aligned to my natural state. 

Okay, Sunday. Two more projects to grade and then a big overhaul of Monday and Tuesday classes. I know that I'm blessed and have magic happening this week, but I can't make that public...it's just between me and my graduate students who are going to be totally surprised. 

That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it. Uh huh, uh huh. 

May peace be with you today.

No more February days left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment