Monday, February 8, 2021

So Much Respect for @IRISCT and What They Accomplish Each Year - This Year Cross-Country Skied for Refugees and It Was Perfect

Glamis and I just about finished our walk yesterday when it really started coming down. There was black ice everywhere and we both wiped out several times. I imagine we humored the people looking out their windows. I planned on running a 5K for the Annual Run For Refugees race, but I knew I would break a leg so I skied for a couple of hours instead. 

It was heaven. Skiing or refugees.

All the streets were plowed once, but they couldn't keep up, so the roads were wide open for me to glide through them. And because the snow was so light and fluffy, it was almost like roller skating. It was fast and smooth. And I was pumped for it, too. As always, Chris George did a spectacular job emceeing the event, and I was impressed that Sam Waterston was a guest promoter. He was extra special, just as the musicians were. 

I actually recorded the Yale Choir seeing, as they are beyond awesome and make the event more powerful each year with their voices. It was all online, and then the celebration could occur in individual homes. 

There is still time to sign up, to raise money, and/or or donate: https://irisct.org

Meanwhile, after the walk, the ceremony, and the skiing, Chitunga and I tackled the driveway and that of Krystyna's, our 92-year old neighbor from Poland. He's my kid, and as I was finishing the corners of my own driveway, when I watched him head to hers. When I got there, I gave him the handles of the blower and I took over shoveling (earlier in the day, he took my car to check out Kohl's and I texted my mom, Father/Son appraisal. In thinking about Chitunga taking my car, the Hulk, in this snow to travel to Kohl’s. I had a moment where I said, “Yo. Syracuse trained him for this shit. He’s good, dad. He’s good. He’s got this.”

He had it, indeed.

Finally, I end with six years of Bella and Max watching the Puppy Bowl. Yes, it's the Super Bowl, but before that starts my sister has a ritual of letting her dogs watch the television (which they obviously do obsessively). I have to admit, I missed the entire thing because I was out in the snow, and when I did come in I had to plan for the 8 a.m. graduate class in collaboration of Cesar Batalla 4th grade....

...which by the way is cancelled for the 2nd week in a row...

I'm looking at yesterday as an emblem of perseverance, faith in humanity, joy of sports, creativity of commercials, team work, and getting outdoors for fresh air and beautiful, white fluffy stuff. 

Getting xx skis. Best gift I ever gave myself. 

Skiing for Refugees - pure joy.

Live with a purpose. And let everything else fall into place. 






No comments:

Post a Comment